The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's NHRP is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources. On April 26, 1990, the National Park Service listed the New Smyrna Beach Historic District in the NRHP.
“The New Smyrna Beach Historic District comprises an approximately 100 acre section of the concentrated historic commercial and residential areas of New Smyrna as developed between 1885 and 1935. There are 313 contributing and 97 non-contributing buildings in the district, located in a two to six block wide area along the east (sic) bank of the North Indian River. The rough boundaries of the district are Riverside Drive on the east, U.S. Highway 1 on the west, Ronnoc Lane on the north, and Smith Street on the south. The majority of the structures in the district are wood frame vernacular residences and masonry vernacular commercial buildings; however a number of the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century architectural styles are also represented in the district’s built environment."